& welcome back to Firewire,
your friendly guide to the exciting world of web-design
In this newsletter, we are going to create a flash game (Balloon Shooter). It is a shooting game where player / user have to shoot the flying balloons and gain the points. There are orange colored balloons, which gives player / user extra bonus points. Player / user get 1-minute time to play this game, within this period he / she need to shoot as many as balloons he / she can. For every missed balloon, separate score is maintained.
Click here to download free flash MX template / source file (.fla) to match the steps given in this tutorial.
Create a new movie with dimensions of
X 400px. and
fps = 24
with white color as Background
1. Select frame 1
on Layer 1
2. With the help of 'Text'
tool type 'Balloon Shooter' as a game title as shown
in the image
3. Here we have used
'President' font for the text. You can use any other
font of your choice
4. Rename the layer as 'Balloon Shooter'
5. Below the game title type the text as shown in the image
6. Create two
different balloon graphics and place them as shown in the
7. Choose Insert
> Layer to insert a new layer above the
Balloon Shooter layer
8. Rename the layer as 'Click to Play'
9. With the help of 'Text' tool
type text as 'Click to Play' below the existing text
10. Select the text and choose Insert
> Convert to Symbol. Convert it into a Button
with the center Registration point
selected and name it as 'play'
click the play button to go inside it
12. Select frame 2 at Over
stage and choose Insert
13. With the help of 'Fill Color'
option in the 'Tools' panel
change the text color to 'Red'
Select frame 4 at Hit stage
and choose Insert > Frame
15. Rename the layer as 'Play Button'
16. Insert a new layer above Play Button layer
and drag it downward so that it appears below Play
17. Select frame at Hit stage
and choose Insert > Keyframe
18. Draw a rectangle patch as a 'hit area' of
19. Come back
into Scene 1
20. Select the Play button and choose Window
21. In the Actions panel
type the following action
22. Insert a new
layer above Click to Play layer and name it as
23. Select frame 1 on the Actions layer and
in the Actions panel type
the following action
1. Select the Click to Play layer and insert a new
layer above it
2. Rename the layer as 'Score Panel'
3. Select frame
2 on the Score Panel layer and choose Insert
4. Create a gradient panel with dimensions as 300px.
X 35px. and place it at the bottom of the stage.
a new layer above Score Panel layer and name it
6. Select frame 2 on the Scores layer and choose
Insert > Keyframe
7. With the help of 'Text'
tool create a Dynamic text
field to display the score. In the Properties
panel keep the settings as shown in the image.
In the Variable field type
the variable name as 'score'
8. Similarly create
another text field and place it on the other hand. In the Variable
field type the variable name as 'missed'
9. To understand what these two scores are showing type text
'hits' and 'miss' as shown in the image
10. Select frame
2 on Actions layer and type the following action.